My Community
November 22, 2014, 10:22:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Dicision Corner  Feb 17-20  2012

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: disolving non magnetic black sand in fine placer gold.  (Read 6254 times)
silvervortek
Prospect

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2011, 12:26:49 AM »

i have really fine gold in what i think is hermacite or magnecite. i think i have removed the magnecite with the magnet but im left with very fine black sand that the magnet wont pick up.
  I have no mercury or retort and if i can id rather not go down that route.
 a fellow told me sulphuric acid will dissolve black sand but will it dissolve the non magnetic type.
muriatic acid is another thing i can try as well it might dissolve it.
  where can i buy small quantities of nitric acid to clean gold or is there something elser i can use with a bit of cleaning power to it.
 i imagine caustic soda would do the job too.
i have used all 3 chemicals in the past and understand the damage they can do to human skin and eyes.
  and has anyone bought or used one of those microwave kilns[there like 2 small ceramic flower pots you put gold and flux in one cup and cover it over with the other and cook it in the microwave to make your gold button.
     by the way i have only a few grammes of this stuff
bunk
Administrator
Old Timer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 08:23:35 AM »

Hey Silver,
I know you you can desolve NM black sand with nitric. I have never messed with acids to much other that cleaning nuggets. You can get acids and others cemicals at A&B in Mesa and I am pretty sure they will ship.
As for the microwave kiln, I have seen this system in action, and it does work for small batches. I think the cost is about $250, without the microwave. This system might be useful if you had a bunch of cons to fire but I would think it to be pretty expenisive for just a little bit. Hope this helps... Here are a couple links that might help.
Bunk
http://webpages.charter.net/kwilliams00/bcftp/bcftp.htm
http://www.abprospecting.com/index.html

Its all about the exploring!
http://bunksarizonaprospecting.com/
Allen in MT
Green Horn

Crackin Montana Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 03:41:52 PM »

Hey Silver
When you get your few grams worked up, let me know, I've got 3-55 gal barrels or blk sand.
Allen in MT
silvervortek
Prospect

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 12:47:03 AM »

allen if the gold is fine gold mixed in with the black sand i find the fine ribbed rubber matting on a sluice with no riffles and the materials classified down with just enough water speed to move the black sand through. that works for me to get the fine gold loosely mixed with the black sand and the smaller you classify the materials the more fine gold youll capture. i didnt find the blue bowl any good and i have a desert fox and it looses more gold than it gets.
  the small amount of concentrates i get from the sluice i usually pan out which can be a bit time consuming. i would recommend something like a jobe stream sluice which has about a foot of the fine ribbed matting on it. i removed the riffle tray and the wire and carpet and glue down more of that fine ribbed matt.
 i find the ribbed matt catches about most of the fine gold and small pickers i get, any thing bigger i use the metal detector which will scream at anything .5 gramme or bigger. i usually dump out the oversied screened material on clean ground and detect it.
 i also run it through the sluice with riffles installed which will catch flakes and bigger pickers usually on the blade of the riffle. by classifying bigger material you can adjust water volume and speed with just enough power to carry that sized material away.
  im sure the lads who used to do suction dredging might have far better ideas.
 some say the black sand can be polverized and by using mercury  more gold can be captured from the crushed black sand i have never tried doing that yet and im sure some body on forum has.
 im starting to find out that the fine gold adds up quickly and will fill a vial easier than trying to fill it with small flakes and pickers.
    have you experemented with a small shaker table, that might be the way to go when you have 3 barrells of black sand// dont mind the alaskan gold programme on telly those fellows didnt have a clue how to operate the table and id imagine the shaker table would take a good bit of time and patience to get the hang of using it.
  i love the sight of black sand in the dry washer its usually a good sign, but we have limited amounts in the desert in comparison to the fellows dredging in the rivers.
Allen in MT
Green Horn

Crackin Montana Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 05:02:53 PM »

This stuff come off a large trommel and a large table, the main paystreat from the table went into a seperate bucket and all other got collected and put in the barrels.
You are right the gold wheels are slow an inefficent as I can pan faster and cleaner than the gold wheels, been doing it for over 30 years.
Allen
3rdgear
Green Horn

Just another disabled Viet Nam vet

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 11:34:15 AM »

Has anybody tried the black magic sluice? I saw a video on you tube that seemed to work pretty good. I don't know if anything or anyone has the patience to run 3-55 gal drums worth. whew!!!  Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh_Cd5ScW8U

God Bless the USA
146th AVN CO RR Long Than North RVN Sep 70 - Mar 72
Prospecting for gold is not a Life or Death situation, it is MUCH MORE SERIOUS than that.
silvervortek
Prospect

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 12:19:31 AM »

well Allen in montana some day i would love to go up there and do a bit of prospecting, i will have to get my 4wheel drive fixed first.
 if you have run the black sand trough the wave table chances are you got most of the gold, if you classify the black sand down to different grades and run each grade on its own through the table and you should yield some gold. i find a table spoon of fine classified black sand can yield a gramme of fine gold but that would be the fines in a sluice from good gold bearing dry washer.
Im only a novice at this prospecting but every time i try to improve and adapt to the enviroment im working, you have your own mine which puts you in a whole different ball park, maybe some day i will find a gold vein if im lucky.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: